My name is Helena and I am the author of Queen and Fox. I live in Melbourne. I’m French originally, but I married an adorable Aussie 15 years ago, so here I am!
I wasn’t always crafty. Actually, my craftiness came in quite late and largely influenced by my children, especially my 11-year-old daughter who just loves making stuff. Then again, my grandmother was a top-notch embroiderer and my mother is a great seamstress, so it’s kind of a girl tradition in my family. Mum taught me how to crochet a couple of years ago and I am now obsessed for ever.
I guess I like the idea of creating something completely unique that no one else in the universe will be able to buy anywhere. But, I also get my kicks out of a few simple things, such as:
- coming up with loads of different flavours in the kitchen
- laughing with my kids ‘til my belly splits
- breathing in the moist smell of moss while I hike in a rainforest
- saying to my husband: “no shit, this was definitely a 5-star movie for me!”
- dancing like a mad woman to the music of a band I had never heard of before at a music festival
- being in awe at the imagination and inventiveness of a visual artist and being taken to another dimension
So, I hope my passion for crafty pursuits will inspire you to be creative in any form you may choose.
“The stitches that we’ve made are the best I’ve ever sewn” – Josh Pyke